[Note: The following is the text of an email alert sent by Autism Action Network, http://autismactionnetwork.org ]
A Disaster for Healthcare Consumers
Please click on the Take Action link [here: http://capwiz.com/a-champ/issues/alert/?alertid=74452626&queueid=[capwiz:queue_id] to send a message to your two US Senators today and ask them to vote “no” on HR 34, the 21st Century Cures Act. This 824-page bill is a collection of wish lists from the drug, vaccine and medical industries that significantly weakens safety and efficacy review policies for drugs, medical devices and vaccines; weakens patient rights and rights to informed consent, and repeals policies to prevent payments and gifts (bribes) for physicians. The bill will also take away the existing legal right to sue by children injured in utero by vaccines.
The bill has already passed the US House of Representatives so contacting your Senators are crucial to stop this bill that is very bad news for all consumers of medical services in the United States.
Just a few of the many unacceptable changes the bill includes:
- Currently, a child injured in utero by a vaccine has a legal right to sue the doctor and vaccine manufacturer. HR 34 takes away those basic rights and would force the child to apply in the dead-end National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.
- Allows experimental drugs and vaccines to be used on people without informed consent,
- Allows the licensing of medical devices and drugs that have not gone through rigorous safety and efficacy trials,
- Allows “expedited” safety and efficacy testing for drugs, vaccines and medical devices,
- Eliminates current law that requires physicians to report gifts and other forms of compensation from drug, vaccine and medical devices.
This bill is a disaster for consumers of medical care in the United States.
You can read the bill here: https://www.congress.gov/114/bills/hr34/BILLS-114hr34eah.pdf
Unfortunately, HR 34, The 21st Century Cures Act, has been endorsed by Autism Speaks.
Please share this message with friends and family and please post to social networks.